Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nanny's Irish Soda Bread

                 My grandmother would always say, "add a bit of this and a bunch of that...".  This was fine for a soup or stew, but left me at sea when it came to her Irish Soda Bread.  Shortly after her 90 th birthday, she acquiesced and gave me the "secret" family recipe.  Every year, I try to re-create it for St. Patrick's day.  Even though my bread smells fantastic and tastes just fine, I have a hell of a time getting the loaves to cook evenly. I must add that I am NOT a baker.  There is something a bit off in the temperature or measurements. Sometimes I conjure up Nanny, a tiny framed woman with steely framed glasses. (a dichotomy not lost on me).  Perhaps, just perhaps this oversight was a wee bit intentional.
                  So now, I am sharing this recipe and welcome you to tweak it to perfection. Give it a go and I wouldn't be surprised if Catherine Maxwell from Loughrhea, County Galway wouldn't be smilin down on yea.















1 comment: